American composer and Tennessee Laureate
Author of Adventures in Great Music
Latest CD – Symphony No 2 – Tales from the Realm of Faerie
HOST Catholic Adventures in GREAT Music – show aired only on the Crusade Channel
- Why doesn’t anyone know about these works?
- They have been suppressed b/c they went to Germany to take lessons then came back and composed.
- The people here claimed they didn’t learn it hear so it wasn’t American.
- George Whitefield Chadwick
- John Knowles Paine
- Edward MacDowell
- Charles Tomlinson Griffes
- Life of Washington book by Mike Church
AUDIO/VIDEO: John Knowles Paine – Mass in D-minor
- Glen Campbell – Jimmy Web song and the chords the remarkable harmonies that are so different than other country tunes.
- Sanctified Imagination
- Eagles – Seven Bridges Road
- Again I don’t want to sound like a know it all but – that is from in early American Sacred Harp Singing and the hymnody, like Amazing Grace, they were harmonized indifferently than Bach b/c if one goes up one must go up or downward.
- This is called Naturally parallelism – together up or down but comes straight from American Hymnody.
- Parallel Organdom sing in 5ths so it does ultimately come from Gregorian Chant.
- There is a heritage.
- We have gotten worse in our craft and dumbed everything down.
- No one seems to be doing things like the Pieta or paint like Leonardo.
- We have sort of lost the beauty and true masters of their crafts.
HEADLINE: Celebrated composer and Vanderbilt professor emeritus Michael Kurek named composer laureate of Tennessee by Vanderbilt University
- Johnny Williams – became John Williams
- Adam 12 TV show
- QUESTION: Is the theme of Jaws a rip off of anything?
- ANSWER: Yes if you listen to New World Symphony – Dvorak
AUDIO/VIDEO: Dvorak – New World Symphony full
- In America they are mostly modernist that do A-tonal music which means it doesn’t have a HOME note – 19th century.
- Crusade Max Exclusive – Classical Music for Beginners?